Hacked By XwoLfTn

Hacked By XwoLfTn – Tunisian Hacker

7 Comments

• H. Babler says:

Great word Cap!
    I can attest that bring on a large department doesn’t change the statistics at all. In fact it may make them worse. It’s hard after getting your head kicked in on the ambulance with 25+ runs to be ready to train and work the next shift on the engine knowing that the shift after you will be riding the box again. As a rookie guys are incredulous that I spend my own money and vacation days to go out of state for conferences and training. They don’t understand why anyone would do that. The retiree funerals are more numerous but the brothers that show up are as slim as anywhere else. It’s a balancing act but it is the profession I chose and I love, however I can see how the ears begin to weigh and the runs take a toll leading to mental and physical exhaustion. Thanks for the word cap, I hope to one day share a cup o joe with you and pick your brain a little more. Keep up the good work while we are few and far between there are young guys spending the time to learn so we can carry the torch when our time comes. Have a happy 4th, be safe.

• Ben Fleagle says:

Hey Brother, great to hear from you again! It was in a way a rhetorical pondering, but I’m glad you spoke up, it lends credence..There are definitely those coming along that will shoulder the burden, but sometimes they feel very few and far between.

• C. Theobald says:

Hey Capt,
    Awesome post, thanks for sharing as always. So ponder some more out about your comment “You’re there, tired, because when you look behind you, there isn’t anyone else standing there to take your place. At least not anyone that is going to do the job the way you believe it should be done.” In light of that comment what qualifies someone to teach? One of the few guys in my department that I would call “brother” has been pushing for change in our operations for the racking on deployment of attack lines and he has been willingly putting me to work a lot but we have both just passed 3 years in the field recently. These changes are things from an identified deficiency that we fixed by spending our own time and money to go out and find the solution for us, and have spent many work days and a bunch of free ones honing our skills. This is not to pat either of us on the back it’s to say that there a few in our department that would want us to spend the next year doing nothing but teaching this to the 1300+ firefighters in our system, but we only have 3 years on the job with this department. We ask ourselves all the time who are we to be teaching others and are continually amazed at the folks that come out to flow some water. So are we those guys behind you not able to do it the way it should be done because we lack the experience? Does the number of years matter if my material (and motivation) is coming from a tenured fireman such as yourself? Sorry for the hard questions just looking to see if there is any understanding for the turmoil we have been feeling over the training we have been putting ourselves through recently.

• Ben Fleagle says:

Quick answer off the cuff,..

My friend, who am I to teach you? Much depends on our willingness to be accountable to what we have learned. I teach what I know to be true to those I lead. If my inexperience causes others to stumble, I strive to correct my error and demonstrate integrity. What qualifies you to teach? You are willing to be accountable to what you have known and to the brothers and sisters you are on the job with. If there are 25 firemen or 1300, what does it matter? Where a lack of leadership exists, the void will be filled. You step in the gap. Step in with integrity, those who follow will see it for what it is..those who won’t lead their people to succeed will not have the honor of being followed. …don’t worry about your time on the job, if it was going to be an issue, you would not have asked the question..

• H. Babler says:

Cap.
    Hope you are surviving the winter well, just checking in on you I have missed reading your thoughts and opinions on the fire service. Stay warm this winter!

• Rick Kolomay says:

Captain Fleagle, your article on the “Burden” was excellent. I have just experienced something that I knew was coming, but didn’t know when . . . “retirement”. It wasn’t my financial planner or wife who helped me figure out my retirement plan, it was my body. Degenerative joint disease or “wear and tear” arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA) of the lower back is the most common chronic condition of the joints. It occurs when the cartilage or cushion between joints breaks down leading to pain, stiffness and swelling. pain. Then a total hip replacement of the right hip from falls, and years later a total shoulder replacement from SCBA, more falls, and ladder bails that ended it all last December. So after being introduced to the fire service by going to calls on a 1954 Mack engine in ‘downtown’ Chicago with my dad at the age of 6, then dreaming of being a firefighter through college, and finally passing the tests and being accepted to serve was a dream of a “lifetime” being answered. A “lifetime” . . . of Brotherhood, promotions, sacrifices, the education, training, drilling, fitness for longevity, hits of adrenaline, sleepless nights, the kitchen table, roll calls, arguments, pranks and laughs, and the pride of it all . . . then suddenly it’s over. What was such an important part of one’s life is suddenly gone. You can visit, but you can never go back. As grateful as I am to have not been severely injured or killed over 37 years of service as so many of our Brothers and Sisters have, I have learned to dislike the term “retirement”. So many who have retired that had given so much of themselves now have the ability to rest and tend to their worn body parts, but they can also help so many active personnel with their experiences to continue that “lifetime” of devotion, brotherhood, and pride by having “a cup”, sit in on a drill, or instruct a formal training session. Remember your department retirees, for they may not be the ‘fountain of youth’ but they can be a ‘fountain of experience & knowledge’! So the “Burden” remains in many of us, we just don’t always know how to work with it when that time comes to put our helmet on the shelf – forever. Thank you Capt. for this opportunity to reach out to our Brothers and Sisters.

• Ben Fleagle says:

Chief,

So true.n The older I get, the closer those clouds appear on the horizon. My body hurts, sometimes my brain hurts. And then my soul. My salute to you for stepping into that void. There are others who hang on far too long. I hope to have the courage to do the same as you when the time arrives. I always tell the boys to knock each other over when the retiree comes by. Get him a cup, make room in the day for him. Someday it’ll be me..
      Thanks for honoring me with visit, brother! So very honored!